Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Truth Comes Out

Well.  It happened again.  We were at WalMart.  C was overtired from having a friend sleep over and was in rare form, despite a tremendous attempt at self-control.  Finally I made her sit in the cart, where she sulked for a half hour or so.  We got in line to purchase our merchandise behind a couple with a perfectly darling, agreeable looking girl.  The man turned to me, pointed at C in the cart, and asked, "Where did you find that?  I'd sure like to see a well-behaved little girl!"

His daughter smiled sweetly at me as I informed him that he shouldn't be fooled by momentary appearances.  His wife shared that their little girl wasn't quite as she appeared either (all the while her calm demeanor was convincing me otherwise).

Suddenly C, in a rage over a remembered offense, got up on her knees and swung her fist at me.  She wouldn't hit me - was just expressing her anger - but it rather changed their impression of her!

We all chuckled a bit, me in embarrassment and them in cameraderie.

No comments:

Post a Comment