Sunday, May 18, 2014

Time Well Spent

Dear Congregation,
You may have realized that I, the wife of the pastor, was quite late this morning. I would like the opportunity to explain.
Seventeen and a half years ago I gave birth to a delicate-framed little girl. She loved dresses and having her hair styled, and I hoped against hope that one day we could play dolls together. As feminine and sweet as she was, though, she was never bitten by the dolly bug. My hopes were packed away.
Nearly five years ago, I had the surprise of giving birth to another little girl. Far from being frilly, this one is the type of child you leave sleeping as long as possible each morning just so you can enjoy some semblance of sanity with your coffee. Her personality is all about jumping off of furniture and belching as often in a minute as she can.
This morning, after letting Cyclone Girl sleep as late as possible, I took out a sweet pink dress and began to wrestle her into it. It was at this point that she asked a game-changing question: "Can we dress my dolly? Because she shouldn't go to church in her pajamas!"
We selected the perfect outfit: a flowered spring-green jumper and red hiking boots. Given her inexperience, the clothes-changing operation took quite a bit longer than it should have.
I loved every second of it.
Why was I late to church this morning?
Because DOLLY CLOTHES!
Love,
The Wife of the Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment