Saturday, November 5, 2011

Oh, To Bee Asleep

Last night I was putting C to bed and, as usual, she was full of chatter. This time it was all about her new favorite hobby.

C:  My name is C*****. C-*-*-*-*-*. Yes! That is my name!
Me: Yep! Now go to sleep.
C (asking about my name): How you spell P*****?
Me: P-*-*-*-*-*. Now go to sleep!
C: How you spell duck? I want to spell duck.
Me: Shhhh! I'll tell you tomorrow. Go to sleep!
C: I want to spell duck! Please tell me how to spell duck! PLEASE!
Me (very quickly): D-U-C-K! Go to sleep!
C: Oh! That how you spell duck! ...How you spell elephant?
Me: I'll tell you tomorrow. Go to sleep!
She asked me how to spell elephant a few more times, but I held off.

Fast forward to this morning. She's causing her usual general mayhem - strewing credit cards from my purse around, sucking on Hannah's lip gloss, and hiding behind the furniture. It's been a long morning already and she's only been awake for two hours. Suddenly she runs over to me.
C: How you spell elephant?? Mommy! How you spell it?
Me: :) E-L-E-P-H-A-N-T
C: Ah! THAT how you spell elephant! I see!
Pause, during which an obvious lightbulb flashes
C: How you spell LITTLE elephant?

No comments:

Post a Comment